Resources - Books-Articles
This list is designed as a launching point to explore diversity, inclusion, equity, and access. We will do our best to curate a diverse body of voices and material. However, it is not exhaustive nor in a particular order. We welcome your feedback so that this is a useful resource to our membership.
Kindly note that the views and opinions expressed in each of the resources below are those of the authors and content creators, and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the Oregon and Washington Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
READ: books, articles
- Article: “Let’s Talk about Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Food, Health, and Dietetics” by Lexi Endicott, RD, LD, CCMS
- Article: “Identifying and Countering White Supremacy Culture in Food Systems” by Alison Conrad, MPP, Duke Sanford World Food Policy Center
- Article: “..and Speak: A Discussion of Weight Bias, its Intersections with Homophobia, Racism, and Misogyny, and Their Impacts on Health” by Gerry Kasten, RD, MDc FDC, Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research
- Article: “Equity and Iniquity: The Inedible Portions of Our Food” by Teresa Turner, MS, RD, LDN, SNS, FAND
- Article: “In the Nation's Compelling Interest: Ensuring Diversity in the Health-Care Workforce” by Brian D. Smedley, Adrienne Stith Butler, Lonnie R. Bristow , editors,
- Article: “Racism: Science & Tools for the Public Health Professional” by Chandra L. Ford, PhD, MPH, MLIS Derek M. Griffith, PhD Marino A. Bruce, PhD, MSRC, MDiv Keon L. Gilbert, DrPH, MPA, MA
- Book: A Clinician’s Guide to Gender-Affirming Care: Working with Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Clients by Sand Chang, PhD, Anneliese Singh, PhD, LPC, and lore dickey, PhD
- Book: Fearing the Black Body: The Racial Origins of Fat Phobia by Sabrina Strings
- Book: The Body is Not an Apology, Second Edition: The Power of Radical Self-Love by Sonya Renee Taylor and Ijeoma Oluo
- Book: Inflamed: Deep medicine and the anatomy of injustice by Rupa Marya, Raj Patel
- Book: How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi