Resources - Culture Specific
This list is designed as a launching point to explore diversity, inclusion, equity, and access. We will do our best to curate a diverse body of voices and material. However, it is not exhaustive nor in a particular order. We welcome your feedback so that this is a useful resource to our membership.
These resources are grouped by cultural or ethnic group as we can best determine.
Kindly note that the views and opinions expressed in each of the resources below are those of the authors and content creators, and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the Oregon and Washington Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- What the World Eats, Peter Menzel
- Book: https://www.amazon.com/Hungry-Planet-What-World-Eats/dp/0984074422
- TIME article: https://time.com/8515/what-the-world-eats-hungry-planet/
- Can also see photos from the book here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvhLm4eg0ZA
- Jewish Cooking
- Joan Nathan cookbooks
- Claudia Roden cookbook – The Book of Jewish Food
- Islamic Foods
- Anissa Helou - Feast – Food of the Islamic World
- Karimah bint Dawood - Heavenly Bites – The Best of Muslim Home Cooking
- African American Foodways
- Black Culinary History
- Taste of the Nation, Episode 4, The Gullah Way (excerpt)
- Jessica B. Harris - High on the Hog: A Culinary Journey from Africa to America
- (book & series on Netflix)
- Jessica B. Harris - The Africa Cookbook: Tastes of a Continent.
- Hawa Hassan and Julia Turshen, In Bibi’s Kitchen: The Recipes and Stories of Grandmothers from the Eight African Countries that Touch the Indian Ocean. Ten Speed Press.
- Bryant Terry - Vegan Soul Kitchen: Fresh, Healthy and Creative African-American Cuisine. Da Capo Lifelong Books.
- Michael Twitty – The Cooking Gene: A Journey through African-American Culinary History in the Old South
- Toni Tipton-Martin, - Jubilee: Recipes from Two Centuries of African American Cooking. Carkson Potter.
- Marcus Samuelsson and Osayi Endolyn - The Rise: Black Cooks and the Soul of American Food. Voracious Little Brown.
- Native American Foodways
- Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian (food section of website)
- Native American Cookbooks
- The Sioux Chef
- Taste of the Nation, Episode 7 The Original Americans (excerpt)