ADA Teleseminar (Corvallis Clinic): How to Eat Mindfully in a Mindless Eating World: Helping Clients Manage Weight Effectively
- Wednesday, November 02, 2011
Details:Please join The Corvallis Clinic Dietitians for the following ADA teleseminar:
How to Eat Mindfully in a Mindless Eating World: Helping Clients Manage Weight Effectively
Wednesday, November 2, 2011
11:00 am. – 12:30 p.m. PST
The Corvallis Clinic at Walnut Boulevard
2350 NW Century Drive, Suite 100
Corvallis, OR 97330
(Conference Room entrance is on the north side of building)
Cost: Free for ADA members; $10 for non-ADA members
To register: Please call 541-753-1620 Ext 2203
More about the teleseminar:
Brian Wansink, PhD and Susan Albers, PhyD will bring the concepts of "mindless" and "mindful" eating to the forefront and
help you interpret these signals for your clients. How do you keep your clients (and yourself) on a healthful
eating track with constant bombardments from all media regarding fast food, upsizing, coupons, etc. What are
the external and environmental factors that influence "mindless" eating? In recognition of how the external
environment changes internal perceptions, this teleseminar will also explore the concepts of a "mindful" eating
approach and compare with the more traditional methods of controlling diet.
• Describe counseling strategies based on recent research on psychology of food choices.
• Explain how menu and food descriptions alter food patterns.
• Discuss why adding mindful eating counseling facilitates change in food choices among consumers
compared with only offering nutrition information.
• Describe how the external environment changes internal perception of hunger and fullness and list
techniques that can promote changes in portion size.
• Define concepts and principles of mindful eating and list examples.
• Discuss rationale for using a mindful eating approach instead of traditional dieting.
• List tips for becoming a more mindful and less mindless eater.
• Brian Wansink, PhD, Professor of Marketing and Director of Food and Brand Lab, Cornell University,
• Susan Albers, PhyD, Clinical Psychologist, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
• Megrette Fletcher, MEd, RD, CDE, Co-founder and Board Member, The Center for Mindful Eating, W.
Nottingham, NH, and Creator, Resources for Mindful Eating blog
CPE Hours 2.0 CPE Level 2
Suggested Learning Need Codes: 7120, 8120, 6010, 8080, 4040